Town Team History
Crediton Town Team projects
The Crediton Town Team was previously the organising group behind the Crediton Festival, the bi-annual event which has grown bigger and more diverse and which promotes sports events, theatre, live music, food and film.
In 2014 the group – made up of volunteers each with project management backgrounds – was approached by Mid Devon District Council to see whether they would extend their work to include community regeneration projects. They took on some more members, formed themselves into a legal group and the Town Team was born.
There are four High Street projects currently running which are being part-funded by Mid-Devon District Council:
- High Street Flags
- Town entrance signs
- Town square weather protection
- Helping to extend the reach of the annual Food and Drink Festival by buying four new all-weather stalls for the event , available for hire to other events and groups in the town.
The Constitution says:
6.1 Membership of the Crediton Town Team is open to any person with an interest in Crediton. The Executive Committee may invite people to become members or will consider applications from those wishing to join. New members need to be approved by a majority of the Executive Committee.
The current Executive Committee (which has a maximum membership of 10, exc. co-opted members) is:
- Rod Brookes-Hocking, Chair – experienced arts/education project manager, theatre producer, fundraiser and strategist, wishes he could sing better, or even just sing
- Kate Lock, Vice-chair – senior NHS manager, co-ordinator of ‘Active Mums’, Crediton Heart Project Trustee, creative events organiser, cuts through waffle like a knife through butter
- David Jacques, FFA FIPA FFTA, Treasurer – accountant, balancer of the books, long-standing supporter of the arts and canny adviser on all things financial
- Sam Shaw, Secretary – Devon County Council Project Manager, Crediton Tree Canopy Coordinator, huge supporter of community-based projects and completely connected networking guru
- Rosemary Stephenson – coordinator of the amazing Crediton Flag Project, Crediton Arts Centre Trustee, Chair of the Crediton Heart Project and editor of the Crediton In&Around website
- Paul Tucker – Grants and Funding Officer for Mid Devon Council for many years, Paul is now the director of the multi-award winning social enterprise GRIN, working nationally and internationally, but always with a soft spot for the South West and particularly Crediton, where he lived for several years. Paul’s involvement in the Town Team is sponsored by Doritos.
- Rachel Vowles – Director of CredFest 2017 and CredFest 2019, actor, theatre director, events organiser and phenomenal knitter
- Jo Ward – electrician extraordinaire, actor, singer and go-to expertise for lights, sound and tech for community events
- Martin Ashley – knowledge bank on local authorities, dab hand at keeping track of budgets, all-round supporter of grass-roots community projects
- Cath Kelly – Crediton Town Council Youth Worker, WEA adult education tutor, passionate about education, wellbeing and capacity-building within the community, born projects organiser and fire-eater in her dreams.
Just click on the month to open/download a PDF of the minutes you are interested in:
To keep and develop Crediton as a thriving, sustainable town that fosters vibrant businesses and recreational, cultural and educational activities for present and future generations, where all people, whether from the local area or as visitors, can live together in peace, harmony and prosperity.